My Christmas Discovery
by Norman Vincent Peale
One Christmas Eve when I was 12, I was out with my minister father doing some late Christmas shopping. He had me loaded down with packages and I was tired and cross. I was thinking how good it would be to get home when a beggar-a bleary-eyed, unshaven, dirty old man-came up to me, touched my arm with a hand like a claw, and asked for money. He was so repulsive that instinctively I recoiled.
Softly my father said, "Norman, it's Christmas Eve. You shouldn't treat a man that way."
I was unrepentant. "Dad," I said, "he's nothing but a bum."
My father stopped. "Maybe he hasn't made much of himself, but he's still a child of God." He then handed me a dollar-a lot of money for those days and for a preacher's income. "I want you to take this and give it to that man," he said. "Speak to him respectfully. Tell him you are giving it to him in Christ's name."
"Oh, Dad!" I protested. "I can't do anything like that."
My father's voice was firm. "Go and do as I tell you."
So, reluctant and resisting, I ran after the old man and said, "Excuse me, sir. I give you this money in the name of Christ."
He stared at the dollar bill, then looked at me in utter amazement. A wonderful smile came to his face, a smile so full of life and beauty that I forgot that he was dirty and unshaven. I forgot that he was ragged and old. With a gesture that was almost courtly, he took off his hat. Graciously he said, "And I thank you, young sir, in the name of Christ."
All my irritation, all my annoyance faded away. The street, the houses, everything around me suddenly seemed beautiful because I had been part of a miracle that I have seen many times since-the transformation that comes over people when you think of them as children of God, when you offer them love in the name of a Baby born two thousand years ago in a stable in Bethlehem, a Person who still lives and walks with us and makes His presence known.
That was my Christmas discovery that year-the gold of human dignity that lies hidden in every living soul, waiting to shine through if only we'll give it a chance.

A little bit of love goes a long, long way.

by David Brandt Berg

So many people are tired, weary with life, discouraged with pushing on, lacking the energy or enthusiasm that it takes to get anywhere in life, or even the peace that it takes to enjoy simple things. But if you give them a word, a smile or a look of sympathy and understanding, if you give them the respect that they deserve just for keeping on, then it can change them completely.
So give people the respect they deserve-Jesus did! He died for that person, just like He died for you, and He’ll be mighty glad if you show His love to them, too. Won’t you? Will you let that be your Christmas gift to those around you? Just show His love, even if only in small ways, to those you meet, those on your path each day, and see if it doesn’t make a great difference-not only to them, but to you!

0 comments: